This is a really great recipe for these cold winter months! The kale is a surprising addition and really stays almost crunchy in this flavorful soup. It is a quick one-pot recipe!
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 medium onion, cut into 1/2-inch dice
- 2 garlic cloves, coarsely chopped
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- 1 pound acorn squash, peeled, seeded, and cut into 1-inch chunks
- 1 bunch kale ( 3/4 pound), ribs cut away and discarded, leaves torn
- 5 1/2 cups (43.5 ounces) low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 can (14 ounces) cannellini beans, rinsed
- 3 sprigs thyme
- Grated Parmesan, for serving (optional)
In a large Dutch oven or heavy pot, melt butter over medium. Cook onion and garlic until fragrant, 3 minutes; season with salt and pepper. Add squash and kale and cook until kale is wilted, about 3 minutes; season with salt and pepper. Add broth, beans, and thyme. Bring to a simmer and cook until squash and kale are tender, about 12 minutes. Season soup with salt and pepper and serve with Parmesan, if desired.