Candy sushi is made like regular sushi, but use fruit roll-ups, Rice Krispy “dough” and gummy candy, such as jelly worms.
Here are some helpful tips:
- You will find the rice krispie dough recipe on the side of any Kellogg’s Rice Krispies box
- Make only half a recipe of rice krispie dough at a time, since you will want to use it while it is still warm and malleable
- Pre-peel the fruit roll-ups from their plastic and otherwise fully prepare all equipment and ingredients before making the rice dough
- Line your sushi rolling mat with a piece of cellophane to keep the fruit roll-up from sticking
- After they cool, use a very sharp knife for cutting rolls (as you also would for real sushi)
- They are best the same day, and not refrigerated. Otherwise, they get unacceptably chewy.
For sushi rolling instructions with illustrations:
Sushi rolls, before cutting. The purple one on the right was rolled in flavoured, coloured sugar.
The conversation fuel alone is worth the effort.