So, it should come as no surprise to those who know me that I’m an excellent procrastinator and that much of my procrastinating time is spent looking at recipes. Lately I’ve been running across a lot of recipes that use oranges and olives. Probably because I’ve been looking for ways to use up all the oranges I keep buying.
On a recent weeknight I finally got around to trying out the combination for myself. I used what I had on hand:
Pork (I used tenderloin cut into medallions; chicken thighs or halibut or a similar fish would be yummy too)
Green olives, roughly chopped
Salt & pepper
And here’s what I did:
- Season the pork medallions and sear in a hot pain with olive oil for a few minutes on each side until cooked the way you like them.
- Remove the pork and set aside.
- Sauté the shallots until translucent
- Add the tomato, capers and olives and sauté until heated through but do not let the tomatoes get soft.
- Deglaze with the orange juice.
- Turn off the heat and add the orange supremes and let heat through.
- Adjust the seasoning, add a bit of parsley if you like and pour on the meat.
I was lazy and added the orange supremes along with the other vegetables even though I knew they would fall apart. Next time I will not be lazy.