Enough for between one to four people, depending on what else is on the table with it.
For the larb, have ready in a medium bowl:
- 150g chopped smoked tofu (see photo)
- 3 or 4 minced Thai shallots (they are smaller than regular ones)
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro, including stems (stems is important!)
- 1 finely sliced green onion
In a medium high frying pan, heat:
- 1 tbsp of neutral oil
Cook briefly until sizzling, but not dry:
- 150g finely diced oyster mushrooms
- a touch of salt (so they don’t end up bland – not a lot since you’ll season the mix)
Dump the mushrooms into the medium bowl with everything else, and stir to combine. Stir in:
- 1 tsp Thai fermented soybean paste (this is not miso – see photo)
Sprinkle on, and then stir in:
- 1 tbsp larb seasoning (use more if you like it really spicy)
Serve with big pieces of napa cabbage to scoop it all up.
A note on oyster mushrooms
The oyster mushroom turned out to be a good choice since they aren’t aggressively mushroomy, but they add a rich meatiness that tofu alone would lack.
2 thoughts on “I made vegan larb and it was very good”
ps: I’ve made this again, but with more traditional mint instead of cilantro and that was also great.